To decode use a recent build of FFDShow or a player that supports H.264 internally - like MPlayer (there are few interesting frontends for Windows: MPlayerUI, MPlayer Frontend) and VLC (VideoLAN Client).|
- VFW and installer were removed from auto update, VFW is outdated. However, you may try the Leiming's x264 GUI.
- Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0, AVISynth and DGIndex are required to use with MeGUI but NOT included.
Encoder features :
- Intra: all macroblock types (16x16, 8x8, and 4x4 with all predictions)
- Inter P: all partitions (from 16x16 down to 4x4)
- Inter B: partitions from 16x16 down to 8x8 (including skip/direct)
- Ratecontrol: constant quantizer, single or multipass ABR, optional VBV
- Scene cut detection
- Adaptive B-frame placement
- B-frames as references / arbitrary frame order
- 8x8 and 4x4 adaptive spatial transform
- Lossless mode
- Custom quantization matrices
- Parallel encoding of multiple slices
Advanced settings :
- Enabling Cabac: approximately 10% bitrate reduction without loss in quality, but is slow.
- Enabling De-blocking Filter: smooths out visible blocks during an encode (rather than by using post processing to smooth out blocks while decoding). Is a good idea to enable for low bitrate encodes.
x264 limitations :
- "x264 doesn't support the error-resilience features of baseline and extended profile, not the alternative colorspaces of high profile. Properly dealing with adaptive interlacing in all cases takes lots of code. x264 doesn't support interlacing.
There are a few other features not supported..."
Changes from x264 Video Codec rev. 660 to x264 rev. 664 :
- (r664) cosmetics
- (r663) limit vertical motion vectors to +/-512, since some decoders actually depend on that limit.
- (r662) Add vertical and horizontal luma deblocking accelerated with Altivec, based on Graham Booker's code written for FFmpeg with slight modifications to re-use x264's macros
- (r661) cosmetics in cpu detection
- (r660) fix compilation without asm on x86_32 (r658 worked only on x86_64).
• Related downloads:
- Haali Matroska Splitter: is a new DirectShow splitter, based on Haali's C library for .mkv (Matroska), .mp4, .ogg/.ogm and .avi handling.
- DTS x264 VfW: is a reworked x264 VfW which contains an integrated VfW decoder. Install it and you'll be able to play and edit all VfW AVC files with no extra software!
- x263 Video Codec: is another H.263 video codec, developed by Xirlink and used by certain cams to compress AVI video.