| ||LAME MP3 Encoder 3.98 beta 4|
Updated: 24 Jun 2007 | | 560KB | Downloads: 3314023
LAME MP3 Encoder is the best mp3 encoder and is available for free! LAME originally stood for LAME A in't an M p3 E ncoder. LAME is an educational tool to be used for learning about MP3 encoding.
You can use the LAME executable with LameXP or RazorLAME interface or you can use the DLL with another software (AudioGrabber, CDEx etc). Some people prefer the combination CDEx or AudioGrabber + LAME DLL (see this guide). In archive are included both: exe and DLL files.|
Features of LAME MP3 Encoder :
- Many improvements in quality in speed over ISO reference software.
- MPEG1,2 and 2.5 layer III encoding.
- CBR (constant bitrate) and two types of variable bitrate, VBR and ABR.
- Encoding engine can be compiled as a shared library (Linux/UNIX), DLL or ACM codec (Windows).
- Free format encoding and decoding
- GPSYCHO: a GPL'd psycho acoustic and noise shaping model.
- Powerfull and easy to use presets.
- Quality is comparable to FhG encoding engines and substantially better than most other encoders.
- Fast! Encodes faster than real time on a PII 266 at highest quality mode.
- MP3x: a GTK/X-Window MP3 frame analyzer for both .mp3 and unencoded audio files.
LAME MP3 Encoder 3.98 includes :
- lame.exe, lame_enc.dll (ICL4.5) and lameACM.acm (MSVC6)
Changes in LAME MP3 Encoder 3.98 beta 5:
LAME 3.98 beta 5 isn't yet released.
• Jonathan Stott:
- Bug tracker items: [ 1590693 ] ID3v2 tag not writing, [ 1636267 ] ID3v2 tags overwritten
If the output file is opened 'write-only', then LAME can't update the LAME tag. In this case LAME silently overwrote the first bytes of the file and an optional ID3v2 tag disappeared. Now an error message will be printed and no data is written in this case.
• Robert Hegemann:
- Fix for Bugtracker item [ 1719593 ] Track numbers > 255 not allowed even with --id3v2-only
- Fix for Bugtracker item [ 1742623 ] fail(lame --mp3input -m m -b 128 --resample 8 *.mp3 **.mp3)
The problem here was, the input files are MPEG-1 Layer2 files named as MP3s. Even if you leave out the --mp3input switch LAME tried to decode the input files as Layer3 files because of the file name extension and because it found some valid looking Layer3 synchronization header. The fixed LAME version does not assume the file name extension is always correct and treats the files depending on the first found MPEG sync word. The files in question are now correctly detected as Layer2 files and transcoding does succeed.
• LAME MP3 Encoder 3.98 beta 4
• Dennis Lambe Jr:
- Added support for total track count (id3v2) in the frontend
- Ability to set user-defined ID3v2.3 frame
- Ability to include albumArt in ID3v2.3 tag
• Robert Hegemann:
- Bugfix: the "play length in ms", which is stored in the ID3v2 tag TLEN, was not correctly computed. Some hardware and software players were confused by this garbage data.
- Out of bits strategy for the newer VBR code overhauled
- LAME API: the ID3 tag functions do not store the pointers passed anymore, they do make deep copies of strings passed as parameters.
- Changes in LAME frontend switches regarding ID3 tags:
--tg "MyGenre" will route unknown ID3v1 genres to "Other" for ID3v1 tags and will be stored as plain text "MyGenre" for ID3v2 tags. Genres given by known ID3v1 numbers will be stored as its corresponding text in ID3v2 tags.
--tn "02/02" will store the track number specified as plain text as-is for ID3v2 tags.
Changes in LAME MP3 Encoder 3.97 final:
Recompiled to include mp2 decoding which was omitted, in error, in the original compile. Otherwise unchanged.
• Gabriel Bouvigne:
- Workaround against a short blocks detection issue
LAME MP3 Encoder 3.97 beta 2
• Gabriel Bouvigne:
- Fixed an initialization error when input is not using a standard sampling frequency
- Fixed a possible assertion failure in very low bitrate encoding
- Slight change regarding ATH adjustment with V5
- Reinstated bit reservoir for 320kbps CBR
- ReplayGain analysis should now be faster when encountering silent parts
• Takehiro Tominaga:
- Fixed a possible link problem of assembly code
• Important Notes:
- LAME MP3 Encoder 3.90.3 is gone forever! It's no longer being recommended as preferred version - LAME MP3 Encoder 3.97 final took its place.
• Related downloads:
- LAME DirectShow Filter: is a Microsoft DirectShow wrapper filter for LAME library. It adds DirectShow interface to the library and two property pages so you can tune some encoding parameters.
- LAME ACM MP3 Codec: the much sought after ACM codec version of Lame MP3 encoder.
- LameFE: is a powerfull frontend for LAME.
- Winamp plugin: out_lame: is a Winamp output plug-in to create MP3 files directly from Winamp.
- Fraunhofer MPEG Layer-3 Audio Decoder: this codec enables playback of files encoded in the ever so popular MP3 music file format.